Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Day We Will Never Forget

Today marks the 11th anniversary of 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Buildings.  I'm sure that all of us over 16 can remember what we were doing that fateful morning.  It was my last day at work.  I was packing up while watching my 11 mo old God Daughters (there mom was at school).  I had the TV on to keep them occupied.  All of a sudden I was watching live as the plane struck.  I left the house at 5:00 am to get to work early to finish packing.  My husband often makes day trips to NYC for work.  I can tell if he is in the office or seeing a client by the way he dresses.  Well, that morning I left before he was awake.  The cell towers and his office phone had been knocked out.  My oldest daughter was in college at the time.  She asked if her dad was out of town.  I told her that I did not know and would call her as soon as I knew something.  My husband was in his office that day.

The enormity of that day's event put into perspective my final day of work.  For five and a half years, I had struggled to continue working.  All of that was dwarfed as I sat in the office glued to the TV.

Since that day, there have been some happier 9/11's.  My first cousin Dave and his wife were married on her birthday, 9/11 and that very same 9/11 Jim's cousin got married.  All in all it is 9/11/2001 we will remember forever.  The brave first responders that were lost, those who worked in the towers, the children in daycare and all of the raw emotion that everyone felt.

For me, 9/11/01 marked the end of my career as a nurse but for the country it was a wake up call.


No comments:

Post a Comment