Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reflections

I have been in Washington DC for nearly 12 weeks now for the birth of my first grandchild.  I have one week left until I must head home.  It is going to be extremely difficult to leave.  A lot has happened in this 12 weeks that have required me to push beyond my CRPS limits.  I've been doing things that I haven't done in years.  For example: I walk to and from my apartment and my daughters house daily (a half mile).  I have been doing housework, laundry and grocery shopping.  All of these are things that I ordinarily do not do.  In spite of all of this extra physical activity, I have only had one really bad flare up.  I guess it has really been a mind over matter experience.  I've been beyond exhausted at the end of every day but exhausted in a good way.

I am honored that my daughter and son in law wanted me here for Ian's birth.  Even though his birth didn't go as planned, we managed.  We had some other difficulties that put more of the responsibility of daily activities on me but I have enjoyed being needed.

I am already planning my next trip to visit so that it won't be as difficult to leave.  When I return he will be twice as old as he is now (now 2 mo will be 4 mo in July).  I doubt that he will remember me after that length of time.

This has been one of the most memorable times of my life; after the birth of my own children and my wedding.  My goal is to be able to come up here at least quarterly so that I can have the type of relationship with Ian that Kim and Laura had with their grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment