Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Being a grandmother with CRPS

March 12, 2013 my adorable grandson, Ian Alexander was born.  I traveled up to Washington DC on February 25th to be there incase the baby came early.  I was a childbirth educator, pediatric nurse and a midwife prior to CRPS.  I was honored that both my daughter and son in law wanted me to be there with them during the birth.  At 39 1/2 weeks, the baby turned breech.  Attempts to turn him failed.  Being well versed with the medical profession; my job was to make the hospital experience as uncomplicated as possible.  We had only met the physician who delivered Ian once.  He arranged for Kim to have the cesarean.  From the anesthesiologist who allowed Bennett to be in the room while the spinal was given, to the pediatricians who allowed me to follow Ian to the nursery for his first exam, to the nursing staff who helped us breeze through the check list to discharge quickly everyone did their best to make it a good experience.  Since Kim, Bennett and Ian were being discharged with a RN, we left the hospital in 40 hours after Ian's birth.

Kim was amazing.  Taking nothing stronger than Ibuprofen for pain, she breezed through the first two weeks postpartum.  She began running at 4 weeks postpartum.

From the time we entered the hospital March 12th until now, I have been walking 1/2 a mile to and from my apartment to their house, making meals, doing grocery shopping, laundry, etc.  All things that I do not do at home.  By 5 weeks after Ian's birth, I had cellulitis (an infection of the skin and underlining tissue) and sores on the bottom of my foot.  A photo texted to a RSD doctor and a call to my physician got it under control in a few days but it was a tough few days.

Right now, the only things that Ian needs me to do are to hold him, and change his diaper.  Once he becomes mobile, will I be able to keep up?  I guess if the last two months are any indication, I hopefully can.

I look at my daughter (my baby) holding her son and watching her as a wonderful mother gives me hope that I will be able to continue to assist them and be involved in Ian's life to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment