Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November 2nd, 2011

When you have RSD, the slightest bumb or bang has big rammifications!  Last night I was taking down our Halloween Decorations and putting up Thanksgiving ones.  The cable company had been here repairing our cable.  I didn't realize that the repairman left the glass door open under my TV.  I walked right into it with my left (my good) foot!  The edge of the glass went between my big toe and second toe cutting a "v" in the webbing between the toes.  The pain was so bad that I almost vomited then and there.  I put pressure on it as there was some bleeding and elevated my foot.  It continued to throb all evening triggering the rest of my body to burn in pain, like I'd been doused with gas and set on fire.  In a "normal" person, this would have hurt like hell for a few minutes, and then they'd be on their way to enjoy the evening.  For someone like me with RSD, it meant a night of having my left foot throb and my entire body burn.  Pain medication does little or nothing for the burning nerve pain.  So I spent a long miserable night lying with my foot up and watching late night TV.  This morning there is still no relief.  It could be days or even weeks for this to subside.  It is hard not to shout "why me?" but that doesn't do me or anyone else any good....so I will lay low today, try to keep my mind off of my body and see what happens.  RSD really stands for Really Sucky Disease in my opinion!!

It's Day Two of CRPS/RSD Awareness Month 2011
Here is some educational information.
About CRPS > Fact and Fiction

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) is poorly understood by patients, their families, and
healthcare professionals. In some cases the condition is mild, in some it is moderate, and in
others it is severe. We have compiled a list of some of the common misconceptions about this
syndrome followed by the facts.

CRPS Fact Sheet

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), also known as Reflex Sympathetic
Dystrophy (RSD), is a chronic pain syndrome characterized by severe and relentless
pain that affects between 200,000 and 1.2 million Americans.

CRPS is a malfunction of part of the nervous system. Nerves misfire, sending constant
pain signals to the brain. It develops in response to an event the body regards as
traumatic, such as an accident or a medical procedure. This syndrome may follow 5%
of all injuries.

Minor injuries, such as a sprain or a fall are frequent causes of CRPS. One characteristic of
CRPS is that the pain is more severe than expected for the type of injury that occurred.

Early and accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment are key to recovery, yet many health
care professionals and consumers are unaware of its signs and symptoms. Typically, people
with CRPS report seeing an average of five physicians before being accurately diagnosed.

Symptoms include persistent moderate-to-severe pain, swelling, abnormal skin color
changes, skin temperature, sweating, limited range of movement, movement disorders.

CRPS is two to three times more frequent in females than males.

The mean age at diagnosis is 42 years. However, we are seeing more injuries among young
girls, and children as young as 3 years old can get CRPS.


This is not a psychological syndrome, but people may develop psychological problems when
physicians, family, friends, and co-workers do not believe their complaints of pain.


Treatments include medication, physical therapy, psychological support, sympathetic nerve
blocks, and or spinal cord stimulation.
Updated October 24, 2007


Copyright © 2007 RSDSA Please contact the webmaster with questions or comments about
this site.

(Credit to Jim Broatch and the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Association RSDSA
@ www.rsdsa.org. Direct link to article @ http://www.rsds.org/2/fact_fiction/index.html)



No comments:

Post a Comment